Awesome Open Face Burgers
Time: 45 minutes
Effort: Easy (but there are a couple of steps)
1/2 lb lean ground beef (or you can use skinless chicken breasts instead)
salt & pepper to taste
2 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1 kaiser bun split in half (or large hamburger bun)
2 strips of pre-cooked bacon (home made or store bought) cut in half to make 4 smaller strips
8 mushrooms, sliced
1 tsp olive oil or butter
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1 tbsp red pepper paste (or finely chopped red peppers)
1/2 cup shredded gruyere cheese
2 lettuce leaves (I used curly lettuce)
1. If using ground beef, using a small bowl combine the beef with salt, pepper and Worcestershire sauce then divide in two to make the hamburger patties. Make sure you flatten them well so they won't puff up too much when grilling. (If using chicken breasts, lay them on a plate and sprinkle with salt and pepper and drizzle the Worcestershire sauce over them to marinate.)
2. In another small bowl, combine the mayonnaise and the red pepper paste or chopped red peppers. Set aside.
3. Turn BBQ on high, when very hot add the hamburger patties or chicken and grill with cover open for approximately 5 minutes on each side, or until they are firm to the touch. (For chicken, grill them a little longer, flipping them a few times). (Refer to the BBQ Cooking Chart on our links page for more grilling times).
4. While the burgers or chicken are grilling, saute the mushrooms in the oil or butter until browned and set aside.
5. When the burgers or chicken are almost done, place each half bun face down on the grill to lightly brown them, then flip once just before removing the burgers.
Finale: Turn oven on to "broil". Place each half bun on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, top with lettuce, a generous amount of the mayonnaise mixture, then a hamburger patty or chicken, followed by mushrooms, bacon and shredded cheese. Broil for approximately 4 minutes or until the cheese has melted and is drooling down the sides. Serve with home fries or a nice green salad !